CPU running at 50%

Bob_x28 & omega63, what is the name of the process that is using the CPU at those times?

Hi its ww.exe hope that helps

I’ve had this problem on various computers that I have installed both WW and WW Live on. There’s no particular rhyme or reason that I can pin down on it as to when it happens. I just all of a sudden notice that something is hogging my resources. I go check and sure enough, it’s ww.exe. I’ll terminate the process and simply rerun the application and it’s fine again for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It’s not a HUGE deal to me but I have to wonder why this has continued to be a problem for almost the entire 3 years that I have been using the product and hasn’t been found or resolved. yet.

If there is any way I can help try and track it down, please let me know.

PS. It has occurred both on Vista Ultimate and XP with all different service packs for me.

Tomtreas, do you ever notice any issues with GetFile.exe (as d414978 noted above)?

No I have not. When I notice this, it’s always ww.exe that I find that is using all of the rest of the available resources.

Just wanted to say, to me too it’s ww.exe!

Ok, i have just found out something: I have downloaded Weather Watcher 5.6.23. It works fine!! Of course i would rather use the newer ones, but as far as i see it, it’s pretty much the same information anyway! So i’m just happy that i get a weather forecast again :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Hi I have just done the same as you and the early version 5.6.23 works fine,so there must be a bug in wwl 6.0.16

Mike please try and find a solution…

I have just installed version 6.0.17 as in this post http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2642b[/b] and it seems fine will keep you all posted, what has changed between version 6.0.16 and 6.0.17 ??

I just made a small change to correct the daily forecast display. The changes I made are not related to the process that downloads the weather data in any way.

What kind of security software are you running?

Hi Mike i am useing Norton Internet Security 2009 and Windows XP Pro. Since I removed all traces of weather watcher and installed an early version as previous post and then found WWL 6.0.17 and installed that I then removed early version and hey presto WWL 6.0.17 WORKS fine. Will keep you posted.
Regards Steve

Mike, my virus scanner is avast!. Also I use Windows XP with all security patches up to date. I was thinking about it, that it might have been a Windows-Update which changed a dll or something that could have caused the problem, since it was running fine and from one day to the other it didn’t work well anymore.
But when i had the problem, i have shut down all unnecessary applications and i stopped many services. Like avast! i had to stop the service to actually stop the application itself. But even with stopping everything possible, ww.exe would still use all my system resources.

@Omega: When you updated from the old version to 6.0.17, did you uninstall first and then install the new, or did you keep the old version and just install 6.0.17 over it? I want to try it too.

Hi Bob when I installed V6.0.17 I removed older version AFTER installing v6.0.17… Hope it solves your problem up till now I have had NO issues with v6.0.17.

Hey Mike,

Windows XP on all of the systems that I have installed it on. Some are running Symantec Endpoint Protection v11, some are running AVG Free.

Tom

I put together a new Weather Watcher Live build that includes a new version of the DL.EXE application – which downloads all data from the Internet. This build has resolved this issue for everyone that I sent it to so far. I’m hoping for the same results for all who have posted in this thread.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/dpgo2hzjam.exe

Hey Mike, thank you so much!! It’s working! I have just uninstalled the old Weather Watcher version, then tried to delete everything in registry so the installation would be as close as possible to a new installation (which I have tried before, but it didn’t work then). Now with this version, IT WORKS!! I can update and everything is fine.
I did it just now, so if anything comes up, I will let you know. But before I could not manage to update only a single time.
Now I have a question: At startup it says that there is a newer version 6.0.22 to update. Would you recommend it? Which version of DL.EXE is included there?

Thank you very much, you made my day!!
:icon_smile:

It’s the version of DL.EXE that you have now. Yes, I’d recommend you install the update.

Just a quick feedback: Everything has been working fine since your update! Thanks!!! Great tool!!