FYI I installed 40 over 37 and in the install folder I now have:

unins000.exe - Modified: Friday, October 17, 2008, 11:46:15
unins001.exe - Modified: Today, November 10, 2008, 12:43:32

unins000.dat - Modified: Friday, October 17, 2008, 11:46:52
unins001.dat - Modified: Today, November 10, 2008, 12:44:38

I don’t recall this happening in the past.

BTW IMO having the new sounds in a folder similar to the skins folder would have been a good approach.

I made some tweaks to the installer – added a unique id to it. That might have made it look like a new app to Windows… thus creating the second uninstaller. That’s my best guess anyhow.

You mean the toolbar ad? I made sure it didn’t install.

Will each new install create an additional set of files? Or will they replace the 001 set?

If I delete the 000 set will the next install revert to it’s numbering sequence?

In that I have never uninstalled a version of WW can I just delete them all?

I’m not concerned about the disk space, the files are only about 3 MB per set, more concerned about Registry links to them.

-Update-

There are Registry entries pointing to both files. So much for deleting them.

No, I meant what I said. I added the following line to the Weather Watcher install script:

[Setup] AppId={{DC7A1CE2-D28A-45B9-84AC-4D8A21D37FDA}

Awesome! It’s good to see you were not forced into something you didn’t want to try.

Run both uninstallers and then reinstall Weather Watcher.

It would be good if the installer could see if the user already had one or more toolbars installed and changed the WW toolbar default install option to off thus allowing the end user to select it if they wanted it rather than visa versa.

I’ve seen browsers so loaded with toolbars that they have little room to display webpages, even with the browser opened full screen.

But we disgress.

Won’t I loose all my settings if I do that? :-k I’ve got to think about this. #-o

Agreed. I doubt there is an easy way to check for all possible toolbars though.

Yes, I tried it prior to responding to your post. You could just delete the extra files and the link(s) in the registry.

Ok, this is getting to be quite strange. In the Control Panel’s Add or Remove Programs window there are two entries for WW. :shock:

http://www.postimage.org/aVBMmKS.jpg

One has a WW icon :thumbright: the other looks like something for DOS. :scratch: [size=2](You might look into changing that.)[/size] The install size differences are considerable, 10MB vs 58MB!! The WW install folder on the hd is only 37MB and that includes all my skins in it so I don’t understand the 58MB number. Is WW installing more than what’s in the install folder?? :-k The smaller entry shows a Last used date from 2 years ago and the larger one shows the current date.

As for saving my current WW settings there is this tool: WWBackup so that’s not a big concern any longer.

To that end if the installer has access to the end user’s Registry it could check the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Mail\Show_Toolbar key to see if it’s set to “yes”.

I would expect to see two uninstall entries since you have two uninstallers (unless something changed since your last post). I only have one uninstaller since I uninstalled both and reinstalled Weather Watcher.

http://www.postimage.org/aVEhU2S.jpg

I don’t know what to tell you about the reported size. It looks like Windows is not estimating/calculating properly. The size that is being reported in my screenshot above looks normal to me.

This is really wierd…
I’ve installed WW 5.6.40 and have two two uninstall entries in Vista’s “Programs and features” like EdP does.

http://www.postimage.org/gxnmvAJ.jpg

But if I take a look at Revo Uninstaller which I use all the time instead of default uninstaller I can see only one entry which is 5.6.37, 5.6.40 isn’t shown at all :-s

http://www.postimage.org/aVFblYA.jpg

You really only have two options:

1) Run all Weather Watcher uninstallers and reinstall Weather Watcher.

2) Use an application to remove the uninstall links from the registry.

In that WW installed fine for years and had a descriptive unique id why did you change it? I think it’s the root of these problems.

[size=2](Retorical question)[/size]

EdP, if I thought adding the ID would cause this problem, then why would I do it?

Please see the solutions above. They will allow you to easily fix this issue – as I did myself. If you have more rhetorical questions, then please save them.

Ok, non-retorical question, why did you do it??

Before it’s id was a very recognizable “Weather Watcher_is1”, now it’s a hex string “{DC7A1CE2-D28A-45B9-84AC-4D8A21D37FDA}_is1”. I have more readable app ids than hex string ones in my Registry and I don’t see any advantage of one over the other so why the change? What were the results expected?

The idea was to attach a unique ID to the installer/uninstaller. Prior to adding the ID, I’m assuming Windows was somehow tacking on a generated ID. If that ID was ever lost or regenerated for some reason, then you would be in the same situation as you are now.

FWIW I preferred the old id. It was readable and therefore easier to see in the Registry.